Thursday, January 17, 2013

French Bread

I made this French Bread recipe I found online.  The picture at the end of the post wasn't the best looking so I was really hesitant to try it.  I was told it would be absolutely delicious and better than the loaves you buy at the local grocery stores.  I was in the mood to bake something and was thinking garlic sticks to go with this lasagna I was going to cook for dinner, but I wanted to try something new and not so messy.  French Bread, mmmm, I am just drooling at the thought of it.  I must make more!  Here's a peek at what it's going to look like!



Gather up the following ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 5 - 6 cups flour

Pour water in bowl & mix yeast in. Add sugar. Let this mixture sit until foamy on top (some people say bubbly, but it reminds me of foam on top of water at the beach.) About 5 - 10 minutes. Stir in the oil, salt and flour. Add one cup of flour at a time. Mix, mix mix!  Cover with a towel and let it rise. Mine took about half hour total. One of the kids thought it was cool looking and poked it and it sunk so I let it rise some more.


When the dough is done rising, split in half, shape into two long loaves.  Make slashings on top with a knife. Once oven is preheated to 375, bake about 30 minutes or Golden Brown. I lightly greased my pan, the recipe I found did not say to do that.  Click here for the site I found the recipe on.


A peek at the inside! Yum!

The kids and I ate almost one loaf while waiting for dinner to cook!  We turned the rest of it and the other loaf into garlic bread.



For Garlic Butter, take one stick softened butter, about a teaspoon garlic powder, garlic salt will work fine, but kids wont eat the bread if it's too salty, mix it up and slather it on the bread. Bake until butter is melted and bread is browning.


Oh yum! The loaf that got cut in half length wise got eaten real fast with dinner!  These we saved for daddy's dinner when he got home from work.


Yummy, cheesy, saucy lasagna! The bread went great with this.  Quick and easy meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment